Sunday, July 3, 2011

Darn Allergies!

I wish I had some more nice boring pics to post! Today has been everything but that. I woke up about 5 this a.m. with tummy troubles. While sitting in the bathroom I went into a severe allergic episode including wheezing and sneezing(my norm), severe swelling to the right side of my face and hands and hives and rash all over my arms and legs.

I took my inhaler and 50mg of benadryl fully expecting the symptoms to subside. After an hour, they had not. My breathing was improved but my eye was almost swollen shut and I could not bend my fingers due to the swelling. The rash remained and contractions were starting. While I mumbled some not very nice things under my breath I called Papa to come sit with the boys. By this time it was about 6:15.

Steve drove me to the hospital here in town where they wasted no time. I had oxygen, an IV, fluids, steriods, more IV Benadryl and some other things as well. About 7:30 things finally started getting better. They kept me in ER until about 8:30 then sent me up to OB because my contractions were about every 3 min.

I was on the monitor for about two hours, got a cervical exam and then the contractions slowed down enough they felt comfortable releasing me. I have a feeling that I am going to end up with an OB doctor even yet with this pregnancy. I really enjoy my family practice doctor and love that she can care for both baby and me in the hospital. But, I am starting to get really comfy with the fact that this baby is deciding a very different plan.

I have no idea what set me off this morning. It was really odd that all the swelling was on the right side of my body. I have had issues like I said with that bathroom before but never like this! I guess I will avoid it at all costs for the remainder of the pregnancy. I will finish a steroid therapy this week by mouth. The OB that saw me here strongly advised against the progesterone so I am off it until Wednesday at least when I see the doctor again.

Logan went to spend some time with Nana this afternoon while I rest.

Whatever happened to nice boring pregnancies?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! How scary. I am so sorry all this is happening. I will pray for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it. You are having a rough time right now. Glad they were able to fix you but I'm concerned about your little one. Those are mixed feelings on the progesterone, hope that gets worked out.

    ReplyDelete