Thursday, April 1, 2010

Some Days

When people ask me where I work and I tell them the NICU I always get this response, "Oh that must be so difficult and sad." My response is ALWAYS, "Somedays, but most days there is so much happiness that it overrides any sadness that could compare." Today was a someday. Today was one of those days that made me question whether I was good enough, strong enough and spiritual enough to do the work that I do.

I came home tonight and saw my baby laughing and smiling. While smiling back at him I tried my best not to cry. Sometimes life is seems so unfair. I have to hold onto my belief that each thing that happens in life, happens for a reason. After a day like today, I hold my baby a little tighter, a little longer and though I thought impossible, with more love.

I pray each day that I am allowed to watch my baby grow up and that he endures the least amount of pain and suffering in his life as possible. I hope that God continues to allow me to witness the miracles that he performs on a day to day basis at my place of work and that my strength will be renewed and I will be ever ready to handle what comes next.

Please help us get closer to the day that every baby is born healthy. I am walking on the Olivia and Logan team again this year for the March of Dimes, March for Babies. If you choose to sponsor me by clicking on the icon on my side bar, you will be helping us take another step toward this goal. I truly hope that someday every baby WILL be born healthy and that I will be out of a job! In the meantime...there will be days...

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Holli. I'm so sorry today was a "someday." I am tearing up just thinking about it. We appreciate what you do SO MUCH. You are very good at what you do--knowledgeable, capable, and most of all, the parents know you truly care. I am praying that your next day will be filled with happiness and reassurance.

    Thank you also for your comment on my blog. I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so strong and the Lord has put you in this place to help others....then there are somedays when we have to help you do this! I love you so much and I am so proud that you are my daughter! Thanks for helping some parents let go a little easier and see that God has a plan, even though we don't understand it! Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there

    Hmm I found you blog amongst some others and enjoyed what I read....
    And then when I read your occupation I knew I wanted to read more and also your gorgeous family.
    I live in the South of Tasmania just out of Hobart.

    Thanks for replying on my blog.

    cheers
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing & a true blessing to those you serve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holli, I hope you know how much the parents of preemies appreciate what you do. You take care of our little ones when we can't. And even on "those days" (which I know about, too), you make it a little easier. We say it all the time, our NICU nurses were very special people that will always have a place in our hearts for taking such great care of our girls. Hang in there, and know what a difference you make!

    ReplyDelete